Rugby prevails over williams, 31-26 Reply

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Photos by Tom Horak

Tristan DavisSports Editor

Ricky Hawkes ran in the winning try with two minutes left in the second half to propel Lasell past Williams College, 31-26 on a chilly fall October 13 at Grellier Field. It was a back-and-forth scoring affair, totaling five different lead changes throughout. Going into the match, the Lasers were coming off of a 14-point loss to Brandeis and had fallen to 1-2 on the season. Williams’ College woes continue as they fall to 0-4.

The Ephs started off the scoring with a quick try and conversion early in the first half, taking the lead 7-0. After the longest scoring drought of the match, freshman Javi Colon received a pass from Hawkes about 10 yards out, and pushed through a gap in the Ephs defense to tie it up at seven. After several attempts at both ends, neither team was able to take the lead and the half ended with both squads tied at seven.

As soon as the second half started, Williams hustled down the field with a try, notching five more for the score then two more after the conversion, 14-7 Ephs. However, Lasell was able to rebound after sophomore Dan Capulli muscled in for the try just minutes later. After a missed conversion attempt, Williams still held on to the lead, 14-12. After the Lasers were unable to tie it up, it was Hawkes’ turn to score as he ran through a disgruntled Ephs defense and tallied the try. However, Lasell was once again unable to hit the con- version but now held the lead, 17-14. It was short lived, as Williams once again took the lead and reached the in-goal area, and then nailed the conversion to take the lead, 20-17.

Although it appeared to be Lasell’s turn to score, Williams made a stop close to their defending in-goal area and ran the ball back down the field, eventually extending the lead, 26-17. But it was Lasell captain Steve Saluti who cut the Williams lead to four after he scored a try. With time quickly running out, Lasell looked to find an answer against a determined Ephs defense. After a series of smart passes and good field positioning, the ball wound up in the hands of Hawks once again. The Lasell senior barreled into the in-goal area, giving the Lasers the lead and securing a hard-fought victory for a determined group of players.

First-year starter Jeff Vautrin was proud of his teammates after the win, but knows they must stay focused from here on out. “It was definitely a big game, both teams played their best and at the end it came down to who wanted it more,” said Vautrin. “But a win wasn’t the only thing we got out of this game today; we also kept our playoff dreams alive.”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s