Casey DiBari & Hannah Smith – Opinion Editor & 1851 Staff
Students returned to campus, no doubt excited to be with their friends again, start classes and see where they’d be living for the next school year. But for some, that excitement may have deflated when they saw the condition of their housing.
Water damage. Paint damage. Missing closet doors. This is just some things heard or seen when school started up again. Some of the residence halls and houses had various damage, which soured the mood of move-in day for some returning students. While these damages can be brushed off and accepted, it can still ruin the feel of a room.
Photos by Erin Correia and Madelyn Hedges
By Hannah Akerly – 1851 Staff
- Pictures & Polaroids: A great way to surround yourself with all the fun memories you’ve had with your friends.
- Tapestries: The perfect way to make your room look that much closer to an ad for Urban Outfitters.
- String lights: They set a relaxing mood and keep you from having to turn on that obnoxious fluorescent light.
- Throw pillows: Only here for decoration, but they make your space look so much more put together. Plus, there’s never a limit on the number of throw pillows that qualifies as too many!
- Rugs: No one likes having a boring floor, so why not spice it up with a fuzzy rug? Besides adding some dimension, it’ll make your space look bigger too.
- DIY wall art: Save money by painting your own wall art! Find supplies at a local supply store (like Michael’s) and be proud to hang up your hard work for everyone to see.
- Letter light boxes: So you can share all your favorite lyrics, inspirational quotes or even just your favorite college bible quote… “She is clothed with leggings and oversized t-shirts and she naps without fear of the future.” -Probably College 31:25.
- Throw blankets: So you can snuggle up with that special person in your life or that other special person…Netflix.
- Plants/Succulents: Sometimes you spend hours (or even days) in your dorm room, so why not bring the outdoors inside to enjoy?
Photo courtesy – Pinterest