Lacy Gillotti named softball coach 1

Zachary Gray – Co-Editor-In-Chief

For the third time in as many years, the softball team has a new coach going into the season. The athletic department named Lacy Gillotti the new head softball coach over winter break. The former Wellesley College assistant becomes the fifth coach in the program’s history.

“I’m really looking forward to a successful season,” said Gillotti. The head coach has incorporated her work as the strength and conditioning director at Wellesley College into the practices, something junior catcher Denise Archetto sees as a huge asset for the team.  More…

Indoor track up and running Reply

Zachary Gray Co-Editor-In-Chief

Indoor track & field enters the 2013-2014 season with its largest numbers in years.

“When I started my freshman year, the team was very small, maybe 10 people total [both men and women],” said senior captain Chelsea Zeig. The squad now has upwards of 30 to 40 people. Although the team is made up of numerous underclassmen, the senior class have been a major piece of the program’s growth. The seniors include Solange Carpenter, Jen Lemoine, Kendall Logsdon, Dylan Fernandez, Bobby Spellman, Don Berube, and Zeig. Carpenter, Lemoine, Logsdon, and Zeig have been with the program since their freshmen year. All have enjoyed individual success, as they’ve set the standard for the program.

The team has improved and grown thanks to the conditioning set up by James Martin and the rest of the coaching staff. More…

Radio hosts No Shave November 1

Participants of No-Shave November (Photos courtesy of Lasell College Radio)

Zachary Gray – Co-Editor-In-Chief

Lasell College Radio, the rugby team, and the Campus Activities Board have joined together for a “No-Shave November” fundraiser benefitting the Lasell Fund. During the month of November, LCR collected $2.00 donations outside of Valentine Dining Hall to “sponsor” a rugby player in his quest to grow out the best beard.

At a grand finale event in the dining hall on December 5 at 6 p.m., a winner will be chosen from the group of participants. The winning player’s “sponsors” have a chance to win an Amazon gift card worth 25 percent of the proceeds. The remaining 75 percent will benefit the Lasell Fund. More…

Women’s volleyball wraps up season Reply

Photo by Tom Horak

Photo by Tom Horak

Zachary Gray – Co-Editor-In-Chief

The women’s volleyball team ended its 2013 campaign at Johnson & Wales on November 5 with a 3-1 Great Northeast Athletic Conference quarterfinal loss to the Wildcats. The Lasers finished the season with an overall record of 17-16 (7-4 in the GNAC, 7-2 home, 6-8 away, and 4-6 at neutral sites), a big improvement from their 7-26 record last season. Their regular season campaign earned Lasell the #6 seed in the GNAC tournament. More…

Storify: Lasell reacts to Sox World Series victory Reply

Zachary Gray – Co-Editor-In-Chief

The Boston Red Sox defeated the St. Louis Cardinals 6-1 in Game 6 of the World Series to capture its third title in 10 seasons. Boston slugger David Ortiz was named World Series MVP. The Red Sox clinched the World Series at Fenway Park for the first time since 1918.

Members of the Lasell community took in the game at Boston bars, dorms, and even at Fenway Park. Many people used the hashtag #BostonStrong when Tweeting about the victory, as the Red Sox became the symbol of hope and strength following the Boston Marathon bombings.

Click the image below to read a compilation of tweets by the Lasell community as they put their thoughts on the championship into words.

Storify

A Storify compilation of Tweets by the Lasell community on the Red Sox championship.

Scott Hornoff speaks on wrongful conviction Reply

Photos by Zachary Gray

Zachary Gray – Co-Editor-In-Chief

Former Warwick, RI detective Scott Hornoff spoke to students of Professor Sarah Abbott’s Death Penalty course on Wednesday, October 16. Hornoff’s presentation, Cop – Convict – Exoneree, focused on his wrongful conviction of first-degree in 1996. The event was sponsored by the Donahue Institute, Center for Community-Based Learning, and the Justice Studies Department.

In 1983, Hornoff joined the Rhode Island Municipal Police Training Academy. He would eventually become a detective with the Warwick Police Department. In 1989, Hornoff drove home from a party in which he drank heavily. He passed by the home of Victoria Cushman, an acquaintance of Hornoff. He thought of stopping by, but decided not to. The next morning, Hornoff learned Cushman was murdered the night of the party. More…